Our cosy cottage is only 38 km from Reykjavík but feels fantastically remote. Being situated quite high in the hill it benefits with magnificent views, overlooking Hvalfjordur, Eilifsdalur, Midfjordur and its surrounding mountains, rivers and ocean.
Great location, only 30-40 minute drive from Reykjavik and 1h 25min drive from Keflavik international airport. The location is great for those who wish to explore the surroundings of West and South Iceland as it is close to the Golden Circle, Thingvellir National Park, as well as Iceland's second tallest waterfalls Glymur and the breathtaking Brautarholt golf course.
Hlíðarendi (meaning "The end of the hill") is a cosy 44 m2 cottage, with 2 bedrooms, entrance hall, living room with dining area, open plan kitchen and a small toilet with shower.
Both bedrooms have double beds (130x200cm and 140x200cm). The living room area has a sofa, an armchair and a sofa table, with big windows overlooking the mountains of Eilifsdalur valley.
The kitchen is equipped with all necessary kitchenware and a gas cooker with oven. The outdoor veranda faces South, East and West. It has a wooden table, chairs and a gas BBQ / grill.
We have central heating, which keeps the whole cabin warm.
Private parking is right next to the cottage, c.a. 15 meters.
On our wall we have a musical instrument, which our guests are welcome to play.
NICE TO KNOW:
The cottage holds: Pillows and duvets for up to 5 people
Natural spring tap water (perfectly safe for drinking, cooking & washing)
Two showers (indoor and outdoor)
Dishes, glasses and cutlery for up to 6 people
Fridge / freezer (168 Liters /40 Liters, located in entrance hall)
Gas stove with oven
Gas BBQ / grill (outside on the veranda)
Mokka and Cafeteria coffee-makers
Pots and a pans
Salt, pepper and sugar
Tivoli Audio stereo speaker, w. radio and AUX input for iPod etc. (cable at site)
FOOD AND DRINK:
We recommend our guests to pick up groceries in the capital city Reykjavik on their way to the cottage in Bonus supermarket.
If travelling from the North (Akureyri), we suggest our guests to pick up groceries in Borgarnes town. Directions: http://tinyurl.com/gsebzwe
If you need some groceries during your stay, the closest shop to the cottage is Kaffi Kjos, which is only 10 minutes away. Directions: http://tinyurl.com/j6y63v3
The closest town to our cottage is Borgarnes (ca. 30 min drive), which has a supermarket, gasoline and an outdoor swimming pool.
1. Check in is anytime after 4pm and check out at noon unless otherwise agreed upon.
2. Please leave the house as you found it and take care of it while staying there. At departure it is expected that our guests clean the cottage. If guests do not clean the cottage, extra fee is charged for cleaning.
3. Pets are not allowed.
4. Smoking is not allowed inside the cottage. If smoking outside, please put the stubs away and throw them in the garbage.
5. Please report any damage that might occur ? We will not charge normal mishaps, just want to know for possible replacement and/or repair expenses.
6. Be very careful while using candle light and please don't leave a candle on when going outside or to bed.
7. Please follow the guidelines given for securing the house upon departure, found in the cottage guide, which awaits you at arrival.
The location is just great for day-tours to see all of the major attractions in South and West of Iceland, including the Golden Circle, which is ca. 70-80 minutes driving distance. Other nearby natural attractions include:
- Glymur waterfall: explore the stunning Glymur waterfall, ca. 30 min drive
- Brautarhold Golf course: rated one of the world's best golf courses, ca. 25 min drive
- Thingvellir National Park: ca. 30 min drive
- Laugavatn, Fontana geothermal spa: ca. 50 min drive
- Geysir / Gullfoss (aka the Golden Circle): ca. 60-70 min drive
- Snaefellsjokull glacier: ca. 2 hours drive
- Esja mountain: midway between Reykjavík and the cottage is a great medium level hiking trail to the top of the mountain
... and so much more!
GETTING AROUND / GROCERIES ETC:
We recommend our guests to pick up groceries in Kronan supermarket in Mosfellsbaer on their way to the cottage (address: Haholt 13-15, 270 Mosfellsbaer). If travelling from the North (Akureyri), we suggest our guests to pick up groceries in Bonus supermarket in Borgarnes town (address: Digranesgata 6, 310 Borgarnes). ? Basic groceries (like milk, bread, cheese, eggs and bacon, coffee etc.) can be bought in Kaffi Kjos, only 10 min drive from the cottage in the nearest valley Medalfell. It's also a country style restaurant offering hamburgers and sandwiches made with local meet, as well as other refreshments.?The closest town to our cottage is Reykjavík & Borgarnes (ca. 30 min drive), which have plenty of supermarkets, gasoline stations and lovely outdoor swimming pool and spa.